an Alternative to Natural Health
Nature's Sunshine Products
The Liver: Your Detoxification Powerhouse
MOST OF THE biochemical activity of detoxification takes place in the gastrointestinal system and the liver. The liver, our largest single organ, performs approximately 500 functions more than any other organ. It sends out numerous biochemical orders to other organs and systems. Any weakness of debility of the liver affects every other organ system.
Some of its main duties include:
IS YOUR LIVER HEALTHY?
MEDICAL DOCTORS USE tests to look for liver damage in cases of infectious liver disease and alcoholic liver disease, but these tests are not effective in showing the liver's functional capability. Specialized laboratory tests that measure the liver's detoxifying and dismantling activities, coupled with a thorough medical history and a complete physical exam, reveal whether or not your liver working at full and normal capacity and able to handle the burden of the chemicals (natural and synthetic) that your lifestyle imposes on it. Naturopathic physicians diagnose the loss of functional capability and the attendant slowdown in detoxification, as a "sluggish liver." Signs of a sluggish liver are sallow skin color and poor skin tone, dark circles under the eyes, a yellow-coated tongue, a bitter taste in the mouth, headaches, irritability, premenstrual tension, arthritis and inability to digest fats.
While the problem is common, this diagnosis is not part of mainstream clinical medicine. It may be due to inherited genetic weaknesses in the detoxification system as well as to accumulation of toxins. If you suspect that you have a sluggish liver, it’s important to see a physician to rule out other causes for your symptoms before you begin this detoxification program.
YOUR 7-DAY PROGRAM
Days 1 and 2: follow a clear liquid fast, consuming only water (a minimum of eight 8-oz glasses daily), lemon water, herbal teas and if you need them, fresh juices.
This can be difficult and uncomfortable, you will experience much better results if you begin this way. If think that fasting is more than you can cope with, you can modify the plan according to your needs by including some of the foods from the plan.
Days 3 through 7: After the first two days of fasting, proceed to five days of eating a diet of brown rice and organic rice products, vegetables and fruit and take the detoxification supplements.
Liver Cells Require a lot of energy and specific nutrients to break down dangerous substances. Supplementing with herbs, vitamins, minerals and other antioxidants helps to fuel the process. In general, nutritional supplementation should fulfill the following functions in a detoxification program:
1. Protect tissues from the chemical products generated during the molecular "demolition" that accompanies internal cleansing. (Vitamin E w/selenium, copper, Vitamin C T/R, Milk Thistle T/R).
2. Assist in the breakdown of toxins, so they are more readily eliminated. (Zinc, Vitamin C T/R, Milk Thistle T/R)
3. Increase the flow of bile from the liver and facilitate the excretion of bile from the intestinal tract. (Activated Charcoal)
4. Reseed the intestines with favorable bacteria. (Bifidophilus Flora Force)
5. Heal damaged bowel membranes. (Vitamin E w/selenium)
6. Nourish all systems and organs. (Vitamin A & D, B complex, Zinc, Red Raspberry (high in Manganese), Magnesium, Milk Thistle T/R)
Let’s Live July 1999